Felician Mission: Haiti is sponsored by the Felician Sisters of North America through Our Lady of Hope Province to live our commitment to justice and peace, and to raise the dignity of the human person, especially women and children, in the whole world.
In 2010, an earthquake left Haiti devastated and nearly without hope. Felician Sister Marilyn Minter traveled with five other Felicians for a two-week stay in Haiti to consider opening a mission. In 2012, Sr. Marilyn returned to Haiti with Sr. Inga Borko to visit the people and assess their needs. They shared a room in Haiti as they canvassed the country to find the right region to lay down roots and begin what Sr. Marilyn called “a compassionate ministry of presence.”
By seeing what people lacked and needed, they began to discern where the spirit of the Lord called. Through the generosity and prayers of many, the Felician Sisters of North America dedicated the mission complex in Jacmel, Haiti, on Oct. 10, 2018. The mission is now a complex of several buildings, which include a kitchen, mobile clinic, volunteer house, activity center, playground, computer lab, and a sewing school.
The ministry upholds the five core values that are hallmarks of our Franciscan culture and identity:
- Respect for Human Dignity – exhibited by a reverence for and commitment to promoting and protecting the dignity of all persons;
- Compassion – characterized by an empathetic consciousness toward others expressed in caring service;
- Transformation – characterized by an open heart and mind, leading to continuous improvement of all involved in our ministry;
- Solidarity with the Poor – ensuring that the needs of the marginalized and vulnerable are met through advocacy and action;
- Justice and Peace – forging right relationships, recreating a sustainable environment, promoting the common good—all in the pursuit of peace.
The Felician Sisters are an international community of more than 1,000 vowed women religious across four continents. Founded in Poland in 1855, we arrived in North America in 1874 with the blessing of our Foundress Blessed Mary Angela to minister to Polish immigrants. In 2009, the Felician Sisters of North America formed Our Lady of Hope Province by uniting eight Felician provinces from across the U.S. and Canada to sustain and expand our mission. Today, we continue to minister in a variety of ways as we seek to fulfill our mission to “cooperate with Christ in the spiritual renewal of the world.” To learn more about our mission and ways to support our efforts, please visit our website.